Tuesday, March 15, 2005

words or pictures?

i was taking some sort of quiz thing online the other day that was supposed to determine left brained-/right brained-ness or what have you and one of the questions was something along the lines of "when you think, do you think in words or pictures?"

this was a new idea for me. i definitely think in words. in fact, i generally have a constant stream of words/sentences running through my head, with one only remaining until the next one comes to replace it. so now i'm curious, do you guys think in words or pictures? if it is pictures, are they kind of quick flashes, like photographs, or are they more like short film clips?

along those lines, for people who speak multiple languages, how does that play into their thinking? i assume that the two languages mix. if one thinks in pictures or images, doesn't that seem more universal, that you don't have to mess with words when you think?

2 comments:

Michael Meier said...

hmmm... gppd question.. i think i think more in pictures than in words.. more like imagining stuff and going through it in pictures. how does the thinkin in words thing work? like when u are going to go walk across the room do u think that in words or u think about other stuff in words?

Anonymous said...

Interesting question...I think in both words and pictures, although I'd have to say the words seem to dominate...I guess they often narrate the pictures. Now I am going to be really aware of when I am thinking a certain way.