Thursday, December 29, 2005

5th semester in review

I admit, I wrote this a couple of days ago, I just haven't gotten around to posting until now.

Fifth Semester in Review

  • I completed 4 more ECE and 2 more CS classes. I only need 29 more hours to graduate.
  • For the first semester that I can remember, I had no mental/emotional breakdowns. I'm going to attribute this largely to that fact that:
  • I had my first voluntary, self-selected roommate. this semester taught me that I am not one of those persons designed to live alone.
  • Nickel Creek--who Danny unwittingly introduced me to--was my favorite band this semester.
  • I spent the majority of my semester hanging out with the freshman boys of Evans 4. only mildly strange.
  • I spent another large chunk of time programming in S18 in the sub-basement of Carson.
  • I was mistaken for being home schooled quite frequently. (Naomi felt the need to inform me/clarify that this is not a complement)
  • I realized that I am in the perfect major for myself, partially due to the classes that I enjoyed (ECE classes) and the classes that I enjoyed less (CS).
  • I built my first robot where I actually felt like I knew what I was doing
  • Andrea joined OU Crew (this may seem irrelevant to my semester, but trust me, it wasn't)
  • By some miracle, I kept my 4.0
  • I spent ridiculous amounts of time checking my email, facebook, and reading other people's blogs (i.e. stalking people)
  • I decided to study abroad
  • I had my first job/internship interview (and got to wear my first suit. ugh.)
  • I saw my first opening-night movie. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
  • I started doing the boggle and the jumble in the paper on a regular basis.

This was also the first semester where I had to seriously deal with most of my friends living off-campus. It was an interesting experience. I lost touch with many of them simply because I am bad at staying in touch and it was inconvenient. Knowing people with kitchens did, however, allow me to cook every so often. Each cooking experience was, of course, accompanied by a phone call to Mom for instructions.

This was also the first semester where I largely stopped going to RUF. A lot of this was due to being busy and lacking energy and motivation. The fact that it met at Lloyd Noble made me a lot less inclined to go. I am trying to figure out where my priorities lie so I don't screw up with this again next semester.

Yup, guys, those are the milestones.

This is probably the first semester where I am unable to say of it that it wasn't better than all of the previous ones. It wasn't a bad semester by any means, but for one thing, if Andrea hadn't been my roommate I would most likely have driven myself crazy and had a dozen mental breakdowns and bouts of loneliness. It was a bit hard dealing with not having most of my good friends living near me and having to meet a bunch of new people and finding a new group of people to hang out with. All in all, though, a good semester. I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you imagine the broken-down messes we would have been if we'd gotten singles?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it is an interesting experience not having all your friends within a minute of you. What are you going to do when you study abroad, though? I mean, all of your friends will be in another country. Btw, where are you going and when?